Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Session 2, Day 2

Day 2:  Wednesday, February 9, 2011:

Before kneading, inside of hat
Happy Patient


Wow, I'm feeling quite well. I got a very good night's sleep. Yesterday, I had my second chemo treatment. All went well.  Cathy put both Don and I to work on preparing and changing the cold caps. They're changed every 30 minutes starting an hour before my chemo starts, continue during chemo (a couple of hours) and then four more hours afterwards (at home).

Cathy had full control of timing (a big job) telling Don when to take the caps out of the coolers that were filled with dry ice, checking for temperature and then telling Don where to kneed the gel to warm it up. She made sure we were changing caps at the right time...and the biggest job, she put my cap on so it fit perfectly. Of course, she jumped in to help during much of the stages.  I didn't do much at the Cancer Center because I was 'hooked up'.  At home, though, I was able to help so she could do her work (she brought her computer).  We finished around 7:00pm.  So in between she was able to solve a bunch of problems going on at work that only she could do.

I'm on steroids the day before chemo, the day of and the day after. They provide a lot of energy so I'm able to get more done because I'm sure they hide my tiredness.  The reason for the steroids is to prevent an allergy reaction to the Taxotere drug that they're giving me. Today's my last day on the steriods.

Had a good day today, I got my Neulasta shot that will boost my bones to produce white cells that the chemotherapy has damaged.  Last months it worked well.  I'm expecting the same this month. I thought it also made my bones work hard to produce red blood cells as well as platelets. I'm disappoint that it doesn't.

It was a good day. We had a wonderful dinner, no nausea and a desire to eat. Hope you're all doing well, too.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!