Sunday, February 13, 2011

Session 2: Day 6

Cleaning for a Reason:
Hi all, 
A BIG thanks to all of you that sent the info for "Cleaning for a Reason".  I've gotten at least twenty emails. "Cleaning for a Reason" is a non-profit organization that cleans homes of women receiving chemotherapy. Just before my surgery I asked friends if they knew anyone that I could hire to help me out while I was recuperating.  An AAUW buddy said that she thought her neighbor, Patti, would be perfect. She was right.  Patti started the day of my surgery and has been helping us every other week since then.  Little did I know that I'd need her for so long. She's a wonderful gal that I'm glad to have in my life.

"Cleaning for a Reason" performs their cleaning service once every four weeks for four consecutive months at no charge.  Companies donate their time to do this. Although there are thousands of professional cleaning services throughout the United States and Canada donating their time to those in need, not all areas are represented.  I checked and Rochester Hills has three businesses contributing to this worthy cause.  

It takes some effort to get registered, especially if the client doesn't feel well.  To register, the cancer patient has to sign in at the website just after noon, Central time, Monday thru Friday.  They accept a maximum of fifty applications each day nationwide. It takes a couple of weeks to process the application and there is a note that says that most of their maid service partners are full.

So, if you know someone in need, it would be best to help them sign up for the service. I appreciate your caring and wanting to help--and very thankful that I'm without the need.

Oh, what a beautiful morning; Oh, what a beautiful day; I've got a beautiful feeling, Everything's going my way!

It was an incredibly wonderful day today in Rochester Hills--sunny and warm (for February). The sky was blue, the birds were singing, the snow was mounded on the river and hills, couldn't ask for more.  I'm feeling pretty much normal. Saturday was a good day, too.  Friday afternoon I was a little tired after being out and about doing some chores. I laid down from 4:00m -7:00pm watched TV and slept intermittently. I'm learning how to slow down and take it easy...  In the evening I felt better; like I was over the hump.

I'm so grateful that I'm able to eat whatever I desire with no nausea or funny taste to my food. I seem to have my energy back and no aches or pains or flu-like symptoms many have to endure. My intestinal and reproductive systems seem to be doing well (I changed to some high-end probiotics this session taking them at breakfast and dinner) and no mouth sores either. I'm believing that all is well.

Today Betsey and I walked the trail. It felt sooooo goooood to be out of doors. It was around 45 degrees and the air felt balmy on my face. I'd have walked more than our two miles but Betsey needed to get back to a social commitment. I was looking for something to do outdoors just to stay outside.  I am so very grateful that I can continue many of my regular activities that don't involve being with people. I'm not willing to gather with groups, especially in close proximity of a home, because of the risk of infection. I'll have blood work on Thursday that will let me know whether my immune system is compromised.  Our friends in Arizona and Florida have been challenged with coughs, colds and the flu and have needed meds. I think, until now, it's been too cold for bugs to live in Michigan. At least I haven't heard of many that have been ill.  The warmer weather could change that.

I'm especially thankful for the internet. It's my umbilical cord to the world. Even though I've pretty much eliminated all meetings and get togethers, I'm not feeling alone or lonely.  Everyday there are several email messages in my mailbox with words of encouragement and news of what's happening in your lives. I get a warm feeling inside and am energized by your kind and hopeful words. Added to your messages was a phone call from Sophie yesterday.  Jeff was visiting her for the weekend. She's doing great. Life is so very good!

I'm off all meds as of Friday evening. I was given my main anti-nausea (antiemetic) drug this time via my port (infusion) before receiving my chemotherapy. The drug is called Emend. It's an incredible drug that is working full force for me. I also take steroids the day before, the day of and the day after treatment to counteract the possibility of an allergic reaction to the chemo. There are side effects -- I get ravenously hungry, hold fluids (look like the Michelin Man) and have an incredible amount of energy to get things done. I'm confident that this time I've skipped the 'let down' that can take place after stopping the drug.

This session I've been able to sleep well every night. I changed to camomile tea (in a thermos) during the night. It worked well and I was able to fall asleep shortly after using the bathroom and having a drink. A friend commented, "I don't like camomile tea." It's amazing to me what I can like if it helps me accomplish something important to me--like getting a good night's sleep!

It's been exciting for me to watch all the wonderful things happening in our world. I've been commenting for a few years that I believe that there is a huge undercurrent of people who have the same basic yearning for freedom, for human self-respect, for a home in which they can live and raise their family, the desire to have access to a good education, health care and food.  Of late, I'm seeing people in our country and around the world making a strong stand for these things (with women being as prominent as men). I'm hoping and desiring that soon, we will reach the 'tipping point," that key moment of crystallization that unifies isolated events into a significant trend. I'm exhilarated by the thought that the spread of this social trend will cross a threshold and start to spread like wildfire.

May you have all that you desire in life and desire all that you have in your life.  Happy Valentine's Day! Loads of love and hugs,  Joey/Josetta

2 comments:

Babs C in FL said...

I'm thrilled to read you are feeling better and doing so well! I'm encouraged by reading your blog each time.

Prayer is a powerful tool and know you've been lifted up in the many prayers of believers and those who trust in God to heal you.

My invite still stands if and when you'd like to come south for a change of scenary!
Hugs,
Babs Cole

Lina office cleaning said...

Thank you for sharing one of your many personal stories
It was so nice to track down this incoming link and find this wonderful post.
You are truly an inspiration to many people.
So keep it up.

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!