Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Session 3: Day 15

Hi All,  (this was written over the past ten days)

Hope all of you in Michigan are enjoying our almost 60-degree weather. I believe that Spring is just around the corner.  My pansies have started growing and life is returning to our part of the world. Today the rain is nurturing growth. I know, I'd rather have the sunshine but too much of anything doesn't work. My Dad's mantra was, "Everything in Moderation". I agree with his observation even though I'm not a fan of rainy days.

I've been doing well this session. My blood work early on showed that my liver was doing much better--only one enzyme slighted elevated. I've had some peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and feet, more this time than previous sessions. I've found that walking and exercising relieves some of  the symptoms of numbness in my fingers and the strange sensation in my feet (they feel like they're rounded and challenge my balance when walking).

I've also had some respiratory changes this session. When I'd take a deep breath it was difficult, I'd have a need to cough. I started using the "breath exerciser" every day that I was given in the hospital after my breast surgery in November. I also drank a large pot of tea every day -- a mixture of green tea and "Breathe Easy" herb tea. The tea relieved my symptoms considerably.

This session:  NO bloody noses, no sore throats, no intestinal tract issues, no reproductive tract issues.  YEA!  I attribute that to taking probiotics religiously--more right after my treatments and gradually tapering off.  I mentioned in a previous blog that I'm taking capsules containing "billions" rather than "millions" of good bacteria that we need in our guts. Detroit Public Television (channel 56) has a great show explaining The Road to Perfect Health with Brenda Watson, March 26, 11:00am explaining the importance of probiotics for good health.

I''m also experiencing less stamina/energy--although I am probably still at a normal level for most 69-year-olds. I'm tired at the end of a day. On the days when I walk (usually two miles), not much gets done after dinner except relaxation. That's much different for me.

I've learned to start the day with things that are important to me--when I have the most energy. As a result, I've been going through photos on our old computer and saving special ones on to DVD's. It's been a joy to view photos and recall many gatherings and vacations of the early years of this century. I'm also organizing my computers and doing needed backups. I've been doing the same with paper files. I'm no where near "done", but working at it.

I'm putting together a photo collage, "The Wood Family 2010". The finished product will be 20"x30". I can use up to 30 photos. I'll have it printed at Costco. I've gone from 4,500 photos to 200...only 170 more to eliminate!

I'm also working on two photo books: A vacation that I took in 2007 with seven other women on a NarrowBoat (60' by 6'6") when we cruised the Stratford-Upon-Avon Canal of England--which was surrounded with wild flowers, baby animals, ducks, swans and beautiful countryside filled with charm and character. The canal has towpaths that were used by the horses which pulled the original boats 200 years ago when the canals were built. We had to pilot the boat by ourselves (I was known as "Tiller Girl) and open and close the old manual locks (7' wide), fill or empty them, do our own cooking, etc. It was certainly a challenge and an absolutely wonderful experience. I was the only gal from the U.S.  It's titled, "A Narrow Boat and a Gaggle of Women".

The 2nd book I'm working on is "Sophia, 2010"--her visits with us. I've been pretty good about doing a book a year for her. When Sophie moved out of state when she was two, a friend suggested that I put together a photo album after each visit as a reminder of good times together. I thought it was an excellent suggestion since much of what I remember from my childhood is based on photographs. Gradually I changed from photo albums to photo books that I put together on my computer and have printed by VioVio.com or Blurb.com.

I'd also like to do a photo book of our car trip to California and back that Don and I did in the fall of 2009. I kept a blog so all the photos and words are organized and 'ready to go'. The last photo book that is 'calling me' is my one month I traveled in Morocco.  It was an incredible experience filled with wonderful, unusual adventures--the five days in the desert were memorable along with the people, architecture, food and bazaars.

So, what's keeping all of you busy? I'd love to hear your stories. Send me an email or respond to this post. Thanks to all who have been doing that. I'm reading all of your emails and gradually responding.

I had my doctor's appointment yesterday (Tuesday). My blood levels were good--white blood cell count in the normal range, hemoglobin slightly below the low range. The liver tests will be available this afternoon. She also did a test that has something to do with fluid retention thinking that might be connected with what's going on in my lungs. I also had a chest x ray yesterday. I just read that the Neulasta shot that I get the day after my chemo treatments to boost my bones to produce more white blood cells can cause respiratory problems. Like most of life's choices--there are advantages and disadvantages...

My next chemo treatment is tomorrow (Thursday). Dr. Jasti is reducing the amount of Taxotere that I get by 10/15%. It's the Taxotere that causes most of the permanent side effects. It also will be given at a slower pace to prevent an allergic reaction.

Hope all of you are doing well, staying healthy and enjoying each day.  Thanks again for all your prayers, good wishes and wonderful energy that you're sending our way.  
warm regards and hugs,  Josettantryside, and past pubs, cottages and warehouses.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!