Tuesday, January 04, 2011

OncotypeDX test results and chemotherapy

It's been a hectic, emotional week for me.

I got word from my oncologist on Tuesday, Dec. 28, that the results from my Oncotype DX test showed that I was at a high risk for a returning cancer (metastasis).  That means that I'll be starting chemotherapy treatments shortly.  I had surgery yesterday to implant a Medi-port. The purple port was placed near my collarbone and looks like a bump under my skin.  It runs into a large vein near my heart so that infused agents will spread quickly through my body.

I'm meeting with another oncologist on Thursday and Don's oncologist (Karmanos-Detroit) to determine the type of chemotherapy that I'll be receiving.  It looks like it will be a 3 to 6-month therapy.  I'm wanting to avoid Adriamycin because of it's horrific long-term side effects.

This has been a major surprise to me.  My original pathology report showed that I was low risk.  This newer test looked at 21 genetic markers (16 cancer genes, 5 control genes)  in the tumor tissue that was removed (not to be confused with genetic heredity factors) that show prognosis and prediction of recurring cancer.  The test is only done on hormone positive and node negative women.

So, I have many decisions and preparation before treatment begins probably next week. I need to cancel my classes I teach and functions that I lead with a few groups that I belong to.  Even if I feel well, I've been advised to stay away from groups of people because of my compromised immune system.  I was hoping I could drop in if it was a 'good day'. We'll see how my white counts turn out...I've been told that there is a repeatable pattern to the therapies.  I've been told I'll be having my chemo treatments every three weeks.

Remember, this is being done for prevention of recurring cancer.  I don't want to forget that they removed all of my cancer and found none in my lymph system--very hopeful report. It's still difficult for me to say that I'm grateful for this test...maybe ignorance would be bliss!  With this information, I knew I had to act even though it's a BIG step!  I've done lots of research and am feeling better about my decision.  After meeting with two oncologists this week, I know that I'll be able to embrace the therapy I choose.

Keep me in your prayers for uneventful therapy that is effective--with minimal side effects. I started this blog because it seemed like the best option to remain in communication with friends and family.  I'm having a very difficult time now responding to phone calls and emails.  Finding time is a real struggle.

This wasn't the adventure that I planned for the first half of 2011 -- but it's the one that I'm on.  I'll do my best to stay aware of all the good that comes from this journey.  When I'm having tough times, I'll know that it's only temporary.  I'm sure this Spring will hold more meaning for me than ever before.

Caution is not the same as fear, and observation is not the same as judgment.  An ounce of prevention is still worth of pound of cure.

1 comments:

judieann said...

Hi Josetta...reading your blog makes me think of my own process with breast cancer. You and I are alike in that we both research to come to our best decision with the support of experts. I support your decision and remind you that this is your decision...not your doctor, family or friends. You are wise in choosing the positive emotional support systems. You are in my prayers as you make your way in this journey. Judie

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!