Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Test Results

Hi All,
I saw my oncologist on Monday to get my test results from Thursday's ultrasound and blood work.  The ultrasound of my abdomen showed all my 'parts' to be normal in size, texture and no stones; medical term is: abdominal organs are "unremarkable". They looked at my liver along with my pancreas, bile duct, aorta, kidneys and spleen. That was GREAT news!

My blood work that was taken last Thursday showed that my Total Bilirubin and Albumin were well within normal range (they've been normal since I began).  My Alkaline Phosphatase has dropped considerably, almost to the normal range.  My AST (formally called SGOT) has also dropped to almost normal range. My ALT (formally SGPT) has dropped but is still slightly elevated. My doctor says the Taxotera chemical that is given to me during my treatments is most likely the culprit. (NSAID's can also cause liver damage. I took two Aleve and three Motrin pills this past three weeks--not enough to do damage.)  We decided to postpone my 3rd chemotherapy treatment to Thursday (tomorrow) believing that by then all my tests would continue to decline and be in the normal range.  Dr. Jasti will closely watch my liver enzymes following this treatment.

I needed a few days to 'get my head in order' for another treatment. Of late, I've been reading a lot of information about alternative and complementary medical treatments for cancer. In the process I read a lot about how chemotherapy 'poisons'  the body. I also read much about how to build up my body and take advantage of eliminating cancer cells in the body through chemotherapy. This evening I plan on taking time to do some imaging of what I expect my treatment to do.

I've been using rushing water as my image; seeing the water wash away any cancer cells that might be in my body. Shooting or killing cancer cells didn't work for me; I've gotten passive in my old age and find those images to be combative and hostile--not my way of solving problems. All the small pebbles (cancer cells are being washed away) and the larger rocks (my other cells) are being smoothed and polished.

In my last post I mentioned that I had a new hair do. I met a long-time friend over the weekend and she wasn't sure it was me, although she did know me when I had short hair.  I had Don take a photo of me, so if you see me somewhere, you'll know it's me!  

A wonderful friend, Sandy, who lives in the U.K. sent me a calendar that she made for 2011.  I thought you'd like to read some of her comments for March:  "Drink champagne for no reason at all."  "Learn to laugh at yourself" and "Give warm hugs!"  She also added this one by Lady Bird Johnson, "Where flowers bloom, so does hope."  Spring is coming, plant some seeds/flowers and time to renew your hope! I believe that there is no such thing as 'false hope.' Go for it!

Sandy designed and compiled the calendar for NATANDY Fund (http://www.natandy.com) which she and other family members established in memory of her daughter and son-in-law (Natalie and Andy) who lost their lives in the 2004 Asian Tsunami while on their honeymoon.  The funds are used to support the rebuilding of the lives of the people of Thailand, particularly those on the Island of Phi Phi, and with special emphasis on helping young people.

I'll leave you with the words on the back of the calendar:

Happiness is a journey, not a destination...
   For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life, but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.
   At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life...  This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way. 
   So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. -Souza

Thanks to all of you for your prayers, good wishes, healing energy and cards and emails.  It's all of you who are carrying me and making my journey so very pleasant. Blessings and hugs,           Joey/Josetta

2 comments:

toby reese said...

Hi, Josetta
I will be passing your blogspot address along to a friend who is just beginning a journey very similar to yours. She had the Oncotype DX test and will begin chemo. She (and my oncologist) have the same question about your original tumor: was it really 2.0 mm or was it 2.0 cm?

Josetta said...

Thanks for catching that error.

My tumor was 20mm or 2.0cm (largest dimension of invasive component) according to the Histology-Cytology Report from surgery.

Right Breast, Total mastectomy: Infiltrating moderately differentiated ductal carcinoma. High grade ductal carcinoma in situ.

The MRI that I had done before surgery listed the tumor as an irregular spiculated enhancing mass measuring approximately 2.6 cm in AP dimension by 1.8 cm in transverse dimension by 1.7 cm in craniocauded dimension. What I call the second tumor (DCIS) is described as: There is a linear clumped nodular enhancement seen extending 3.4 cm from the mass anteriorly towards the nipple. That's why I chose a mastectomy (and to avoid radiation).

Also my score on the OncotypeDX test was 35 in case your friend is interested.

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!