Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm ready to begin treatments

First, I want to thank all of you for your prayers, caring words, healing thoughts, cards, emails, comments and inspiration. I'm feeling your support around me.  At first I saw it as a protective shield like the thick plastic/glass that they used to have in banks.  Gradually it's changed to a beautiful, rounded crystal-like thick shield that completely surrounds me from toes to head.  It provides protection from fear and anxiety.  It also surrounds me with a feeling of peacefulness and calm that comes from your love and concern. THANKS...words are inadequate to express my thanks to all of you.  You're a thousand times better than a pill or a potion..

I've decided to begin my treatments on Monday January 17.  My oncologist, Dr. Jasti, will be moving her practice to the new Karmanos Cancer Center in Rochester in a couple of weeks.  Her present office area where my first treatment would be given is crowded, tired and chaotic appearing.  I was having a difficult time feeling like it was a place of healing for me.  When I mentioned this, it was suggested that I have my first treatment done at their beautiful Clarkston office (Great Lakes Cancer Institute Building) and the remaining sessions done at the Karmanos Cancer Center.  So be it!

My visits to Dr. Folby and Dr. Flaherty (Karmanos-Detroit) provided me with valuable info to learn more about my situation and to understand the impact of a metastasis; yet at the same time realizing that there is no 'right' chemo treatment for an individual.

Dr. Flaherty is a researcher, teacher and practicing oncologist.  He believes it's necessary to use the biggest 'hammer' to avoid recurring cancer, no matter what the damage (long-term side effects). I would agree if my cancer had metastasized. My chemo is for preventive purposes in case I have one or some stray cancer cells in my body. Also, I could use the strongest most toxic chemicals and there's no guarantee that it would be the 'right' chemicals to eliminate my cancer cells (if I have any).  No one knows. It's a risk determined by statistics.

My analogy:  I see myself trying to mount a special sculpture to a wall.  It has a nail attached to the back.  I have many options:

  • Carefully hold it and press it into a small hole I've made in the wall -- using no hammer/tool.  (Be the 50% of the statistics that use no therapy and have no cancer recurrence).  
  • Use a padded hammer and carefully tap it until the nail goes into the wall . (Take an aromatase inhibitor (daily pill) for five years and be one the 76% who have no recurrence).  
  • Use a huge mallet and pound the sculpture till the nail goes into the wall with the possibility of damaging the sculpture itself (take aggressive chemotherapy treatments and be one the 84% who have no recurrence.
I've decided to go with the aromatase inhibitors and chemotherapy (there's something inside of me that says that I need to know I've done what I can).  I've chosen a less aggressive chemo treatment, with less major side effects (heart damage).  I know that at anytime I can stop the treatments or change the treatments.  I'm comfortable with my decision and ready to start.

I'm so grateful that I called a halt to the original start date of January 3.  I had surgery on the 2nd to have my Medi-port 'installed'. I found out about the test results which indicated the need for chemotherapy on December 27...giving me a couple of days to make a decision and 'prepare' for this huge commitment.

In these two weeks I've learned invaluable information that's helped me to make my decision and prepare myself for my treatments.  I've decided to use Penguin Cold Caps to preserve my hair.  It's pretty much guaranteed that with the chemo I'll be taking, I'd lose all of my hair with the first treatment. Cold caps are a labor intensive process that's done an hour before, during and four hours after the treatment. Cathy's taken the lead role, learning how to do it. She's in charge of preparing and changing the ice caps. There's a link on the right if you want to learn more about it.  I've met and talked with several who have used it.  They've all been successful in keeping their hair. Michelle has been so gracious to loan me the necessary coolers, special thermometer and other 'tools' necessary to carry this out. More than that, she's been extremely helpful in giving me tips on how to use them. She's also been extremely helpful (as have other women) with sharing their techniques to avoid other side effects of the chemotherapy.  I'm feeling well prepared for this adventure...

I also attended a Look Good...Feel Better session that's put on by the American Cancer Society, the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association and the National Cosmetology Association.  It's like a make over for the spirit.  I met a couple of gals that were in the midst of their treatments.  If I'd met them at a luncheon, I'd never have known. They looked great; it was a real inspiration and hopeful time for me.  We were provided with a kit of cosmetics, skin products, etc. that we step-by-step applied.  It was fun, light and informative.  I love some of the new products that were given to me at no charge.  If you know of a woman  with cancer, find out where a session will be held near her and help to get her there.  1-800-395-LOOK  or http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org

Quite 'accidentally' (or maybe it was synchronistic) I ended up in the Wilson Cancer Resource Center in the Beaumont Medical Center across from Troy Beaumont Hospital. It's a goldmine of education, guidance and support for those with cancer--to help them through the maze: Integrative Medicine (body, mind and spirit), Naturopathic Medicine, programs and wonderful people.  No matter what hospital you're working with, find yourself an Oncology Nurse Navigator who can provide help as you choose your path. The phone number to Wilson Cancer Resource Center is: 248-964-3430. Anyone with cancer can make use of this wonderful source of help.  http://cancer.beaumonthospitals.com/troy-resource-center

Another source that was very helpful for me, is Swan for Life Cancer Foundation. It's a non-profit cancer support organization for those newly diagnosed with cancer, patients with recurrences, friends, family and survivors. Leah, their oncology social worker, was my first helper. She's outstanding. She quickly identified how she could help me cope with this turn of events and she did!
Rochester: 248-650-1090 and Clarkston: 248-620-9600   http://www.swanforlife.org

I've had help from my niece (Teri), my doctor, my family and friends. I thank you again and again.  If I haven't called on the many others who have volunteered -- you're not out of the woods, yet! 

As you can see/hear, I've been extremely busy getting myself (inside and out) ready for this adventure.  In some ways it's similar to what I did getting ready for my month in China, Morocco and other places I've visited.  I'm feeling like my preparations are all lined up.  I'm ready to go...

I'm scheduled for six treatments (every three weeks). I'll be taking a regime called TC (Taxotere/Cytoxan). Chemotherapy works by killing fast-growing cancer cells.  Unfortunately, chemo can't tell the difference between cancer cells and fast-growing healthy cells (blood-forming cells in bone marrow, hair follicles and cells in the mouth, digestive tract and reproductive system).  This puts me at risk of lowering my white blood cells which are the cells that fight infection.  I'll be getting a shot of Neulasta the day after each treatment to help my body produce more white cells. I've had prescriptions filled for many anti-nausea drugs--seems like the medical community has a good handle on preventing that awful feeling (according to those who have gone before me).  

Help me to visualize the chemicals flowing through my body, finding any/all cancer cells and washing them away forever.  

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers that these treatments will be uneventful, beneficial and fruitful. Also, I'd prefer that side effects be at a minimum!    love and hugs,  Josetta


4 comments:

Barb Schalk said...

Josetta: Definintely have good vibes for you and keeping you in our prayers. You should check out "cleaningforareason.org" and see about getting cleaning help for the home. They clean free for cancer patients.

Hoping to see you joining our lunches again come spring :-)

Josetta said...

Hi Barb,
Thanks for the link for cleaning help. I've received it from several other caring women. I hired a gal just before my surgery and she's working out great. However, she'll be gone for the month of March. I've been to the website; it's a little involved registering, but I'll do it.

Yesterday was my first chemo treatment. All went well quite uneventful. I'm feeling pretty good today but as soon as I finish your note I'm talking a nap. I'm doing the cold caps to retain my hair. It's very labor intensive so there was chaos all day yesterday. Followed up today with a shot at my doctors for Nuvasta which will make my bones work extra hard to build up my white and red cells and platelets.. I'm ready for some peace and quiet...

Thanks for caring and sharing. It touches my heart more than you can know. Yes, I hope to be at the lunches again come spring. Josetta

Anonymous said...

Josetta, AKA "Aunt Joey:
Just finished reading thru your adventures!
Jeanne told me that you started your chemo. I'll continue to pray and believe that God will shine his healing light upon you, the doctors and the medications being used to eliminate your high risk!

If you need to take a trip south, you can always come to Estero-Naples (my place) thaw out and catch some wonderful rays on our beautiful beaches.
Babs

Chris Ryan said...

Hi Josetta,

Wanted to drop in and let you know I was thinking of you. Cathy's kept me up to date on the fun rounds of the penguin caps, wish we had known about those for my mom. I definitely hope they work out.

Oh, and a thought about the Neulasta shots. They can cause bone pain. My online cancer buddies that have taken it recommend either Bendaryl or Clairitin as good over the counter remedies. Take from the day of the shot for about three days if you have problems.

One down! Yippee! You are killing cancer with every breath. Fighting for a healthy future.

Post a Comment

If you're not logged in to Google or g-mail, please let me know your name by selecting Name/URL in the Comment as field under the comment box. When you select that option, fields will appear for you to enter your name (you can leave the URL field blank). Thanks!